Established in 2004 by concerned citizens of Atlantic, Neptune and Jacksonville Beaches, Beaches Watch is a non-profit, non-partisan, citizen-based organization.
Beaches Watch promotes and facilitates educated and productive citizen involvement in government decisions that impact the quality of life of our Beaches communities in Duval County, Florida.
Our Core Values
• Improving participation in local government
• Well informed residents
• Positive and constructive input on issues
• Factual information on issues
• Respectful and professional involvement
• Fairness and objectivity
These values contribute to a well informed and engaged community.
Beaches residents are educated, motivated and inspired to express their informed opinions and cooperatively participate in the governing process.
Citizens CAN Make a Difference
With informed, positive involvement in local issues, citizens can make a difference in preserving our beaches’ quality of life for future generations. Since the inception of Beaches Watch, informed and active residents have worked effectively to moderate uncontrolled development:
- Blocked approval of a massive 550-unit high rise project on the Intracoastal Waterway in Jacksonville Beach that was out of character with our beach community.
- Limited the scope of development of an Intracoastal island in ecologically sensitive marshlands of Atlantic Beach.
- Sponsored an amendment to the Jacksonville Beach City Charter controlling high-rise development and giving the citizens control of any future height limit changes. The amendment was overwhelmingly approved by Jacksonville Beach voters in 2004.
- Organized a successful effort to deny permitting to a waste transfer station within half a mile of two elementary schools and a hospital.
- Organized educational programs for the beaches communities: Understanding the EAR Process, St. Johns River Water Withdrawal Concerns, Hurricane Preparedness, How to Protect Your Children from Predators, and monthly meeting speakers on relevant beaches topics.
- Instrumental in getting Jacksonville Beach officials to hire Glatting-Jackson and Dan Burden for the Central Business Distric and Penman Road visioning process to implement smart growth and make these areas more walkable and bikable.
- As a member of the Florida Forever Coalition, Beaches Watch passed a resolution in support of state re-authorization of the Florida Forever Program.